Most Recent Articles In Lifestyle
Latest Lifestyle Articles
More Articles By
DINING OUT IN LONDON
Admittedly, committing to an outside table in London, even at the height of “summer,” is a gamble. That said, if you like your odds, a handful of new openings in the capital are worth taking your chances with the frequently inclement weather.
Under a railway line in ever-hip Haggerston/Hoxton, Beagle has a daily changing menu from James Ferguson (ex-Rochelle Canteen) and a spacious outdoor terrace on a pedestrian-only thoroughfare.
At Bird of Smithfield, Alan Bird — who was at The Ivy for more than 15 years — has five floors of fun and food, including a terrace on which to enjoy his passion for British ingredients.
Take a pew under the outside awning at newly opened hotel and restaurant One Leicester Street and share some of chef Tom Harris’ small and larger plates of British fare that change daily.
In the regenerating area surrounding the new Central Saint Martins Campus in Kings Cross, Shrimpy’s Deluxe Dinette & Terrace has all-day outside dining during the summer months; wash down a tuna tostada or a soft shell crab burger with a frozen margarita or Pisco sour.
From the folks behind Lardo, the hugely popular pizzeria nearby, Coppa sits atop a rooftop overlooking London Fields and serves food inspired by travels to Naples in wooden cabanas (which are blessedly bookable), or on deck chairs — but it’s only open on weekends.
The Rooftop at Boundary has been weatherproofed, so if (when) it starts to rain, you won’t have to abandon your shared plates of Mediterranean tapas or glass of Pimms.
It’s been open since last year but Sushi Samba’s open-air bar on the 38th floor of the Heron Tower, under the spreading leaves of a magnificent orange tree, is still the best place to look out over London’s skyline with a cocktail in hand. —Julia Neel
• Beagle, 397-400 Geffrye Street, E2 8HZ. Beaglelondon.co.uk
• Bird of Smithfield, 26 Smithfield Street, EC1A 9LB. Birdofsmithfield.com
• One Leicester Street, 1 Leicester Street, WC2H 7BL. Oneleicesterstreet.com
• Shrimpy’s Deluxe Dinette & Terrace, The King’s Cross Filling Station, Goods Way, N1C 4UR. Shrimpys.co.uk
• Coppa, Hothouse Rooftop, Martello Street, E8 3QW. Coppalondon.co.uk
• The Rooftop at The Boundary, 2-4 Boundary Street, Shoreditch, E2 7DD. Theboundary.co.uk/rooftop/
• Sushi Samba, Heron Tower, 110 Bishopsgate, EC2N 4AY. Sushisamba.com/location/London