1. Must Duffel: Fairchild Baldwin’s Bobby Duffel ($1,050), top left, is perfect for the man who needs to get his effects together in a hurry, without looking like a schlump. Made of wool and leather.
2. Must Blanket: The Bottega Veneta Throw (it’s made to order, so ask for the price when you call for one) works for business-class naps.
3. Must Snowboard: The Etro Snowboard ($2,330), center, in paisley, imbues even the most extreme half-piper with Italian high style.
4. Must Woven Hat: The Bottega Veneta Hat ($310), center. Works in Brooklyn. Works in Milan.
5. Must Ribbed Winter Hat: Marc by Marc Jacobs Hat. Helps you make it to March in style ($54).
6. Must Warmth: The Barbour Tailored Sapper Jacket in Waxed Cotton ($399) heats you up while allowing you to move your arms enough to chop down a tree (or make wild gestures while talking on your cell).
7. Must Woodsman Tool: The Best Made Company's Hudson Bay Axe ($225), bottom, looks sharp. And is sharp. Very sharp. Careful out there, guys.
8. Must Pants: Ralph Lauren Purple Label’s Pants ($695), made in tweed, are warm enough for Maine and stylish enough for Manhattan. Will last a thousand years.
9. Must Boot: The Bally Vincens Boot ($1,250), middle right, was the favorite outdoors shoe of all those we sampled. Rugged, but as soft as a pillow against your foot.
10. Must Sock: The Pantherella Sock in Merino Wool Fair Isle ($35) ensures that you will never have cold feet, literally or figuratively.
11. Must Sport Watch: The IWC Ingenieur Chronograph Silberpfeil ($13,100), a Swiss watch with an alligator strap, is tough enough for a climb up the Matterhorn.
12. Must Flask: Don’t forget to take this Coach by Billy Reid Whiskey Flask ($200) to the Army-Navy game, or just sip from it in the comfort of your living room.
13. Must Gloves: The design and manufacturing know-how of an expert accessories company is evident in this pair of Coach Men’s Deerskin Gloves ($148).
14. Must Winter Necktie: The Alexander Olch wool mesh cravat ($150) is something you can wear on the piste or at the fireside.
15. Must Knit Sweater: Just thinking about the Alfred Dunhill Cable-Knit Roll-Neck Sweater ($875) warms you right up.
NEXT: Sleepwear >>