Most Recent Articles In Memo PadMost Recent Articles In Memo Pad
- Condé Nast Britain Makes Digital Hires
- Joseph Abboud Stars in Men's Wearhouse T.V. Campaign
- Dr. Oz Magazine Sells Out on Newsstand
PALLOT PARTS WAYS: Jamie Pallot, Vanity Fair’s man on the Web, is leaving after almost two years at the magazine. Pallot was a veteran of Condé Nast, with 12 years at the company in several editorial roles, most prominently as the editorial director of Condé Nast Digital until 2011. His formal title at Vanity Fair was executive director of multimedia projects.
Pallot said he is moving on to the next phase of his career, which will include some consulting work and a book, though he declined to share details. For the time being, he’s taking time off.
“There’s a summer house in Sagaponack that’s calling my name,” he said.
In the last year, Vanity Fair has taken on a number of labor-intensive digital projects that fell under Pallot’s watch, like the expansion of the International Best-Dressed List, which was opened up to take submissions from readers, an undertaking that involved significant logistical management. Pallot said it “brought the list into the digital age.” The magazine is poised to add more online bells and whistles in June with the launch of its online video channel.
Pallot joined Style.com as its editor in chief in 2001 soon after its launch and earned editorial accolades — the site won a National Magazine Award in 2005 — that got him noticed by Condé brass. He was rewarded with the title of editorial director of what was then called CondéNet, now Condé Digital, in 2003, back when individual magazines still didn’t have their own destination sites and were siloed at Web sites like Style.com and Epicurious.com.
CondéNet was eventually phased out and with his role undefined, Pallot joined Vanity Fair in 2011, where he occupied a role that sometimes straddled both editorial and business functions and involved broad digital projects. Daily management of VF.com, for example, fell to digital editor Chris Rovzar, who reports to editor in chief Graydon Carter.
“I’ve had 12 amazing years at Condé Nast. It’s a really, really hard thing to leave. It’s time to think about the next phase. I just got that call,” he said.
Vanity Fair did not immediately have a successor lined up for Pallot.
His last day is Friday, just a few weeks shy of Condé’s official summer-hours start. Pallot will be staying on Vanity Fair’s masthead as a contributing editor, a perch that, if previous holders are any indication, he is unlikely to lose any time soon.