November 16, 2013
WWD highlights the 10 must-read stories of the week.
1. Tom Ford Dishes Fashion Advice at CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Awards
His keynote address at Monday night’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund dinner was filled with pithy advice to designers young and not so young.
2. Victoria's Secret Fashion Show: The Main Event
The much-anticipated Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show was infused with a renewed energy that combined the synergies of music, fashion, pop culture and yes — sex appeal.
3. Social Media Space Grows Ever-Crowded
The social media party is starting to feel a little cramped.
4. H&M Opening High-Tech Flagship in Times Square
H&M’s 42,000-square-foot flagship at 4 Times Square takes the notion of high tech to the next level.
5. Wal-Mart, Kohl's See Tough Holiday Ahead
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Kohl’s Corp. both provided cautious forecasts for holiday sales as they reported third-quarter earnings Thursday.
6. Macy's Q3 Earnings Lift Shares 9.4%
There’s momentum at Macy’s Inc. and that has executives feeling good about Christmas despite the shorter calendar and languid economy.
7. Johann Rupert Stays the Course at Richemont
Richemont said that it no longer intends to make any asset disposals, and will instead invest in its soft luxury portfolio.
8. Gap Inc. Pushes Omnichannel Focus
Gap Inc., once in the vanguard of progressive marketing, is pitching innovation as part of its culture again.
9. They Are Wearing: Isabel Marant for H&M Shopping Frenzy
Isabel Marant devotees braved the cold Tuesday night, many waiting in line for an hour before the Fifth Avenue H&M doors opened in Manhattan.
10. Spring 2014 Trend: Plaza Sweet
Playful young ladies let loose in Eloise’s favorite stomping ground. Their pretty party looks range from jacquard dresses to skirts with politely cropped tops.