Metropolitan area population: More than 7.4 million.
AVERAGE Annual prime retail rent: $364 per square foot.
Major local industries: Textiles and garments, chemicals, cars, mechanical tools, heavy machinery, iron and steel, tourism, shipbuilding, finance. Milan is seat of the Italian stock exchange, Borsa Italiana, and home to fabled automotive company Alfa Romeo.
- Long renowned as a world capital of design and fashion, the English word "milliner" is derived from the city's name.
- The Piazza Duomo is possibly the world's oldest shopping mall.
- The Lombard metropolis is famous for its fashion houses and shops along Via Montenapoleone and the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele.
- The Piazza del Duomo cathedral was commissioned in 1386 and is the world's fourth-largest church.
- The Convento di Santa Maria delle Grazie is where Leonardo da Vinci painted his "Last Supper" in 1498.
Sources: CityMayors.com, Aboutmilan.com, Answers.com.