More on Subject
- Fashion Playlist: Milan
- Runway Playlist: London
- New York Playlist: Designers' Groove Is in the Heart
Most Recent Articles In People
Latest People Articles
- Man of the Week: Tony Abbott
- Ian Kelly Discusses Vivienne Westwood Biography
- Model Call: Gisele Pletzer
More Articles By
Musical moods varied during Paris Fashion Week, from the romantic (Donna Summer’s “Love to Love You Baby” at Chanel) to the ridiculous. The latter included Ewan McGregor, José Feliciano and Jacek Koman’s version of “Roxanne” from the film “Moulin Rouge,” played both at the John Galliano and Jean Paul Gaultier shows, and an awkward live act by electronica group Metronomy, who performed on the Karl Lagerfeld runway.
But there were some stellar soundtracks. Along with Flash and the Pan’s “Walking in the Rain,” Ariel Weizman mixed up a special concoction of tribal rhythms for Lanvin’s Alber Elbaz. “He wanted a sentiment of tribal force that was still symphonic,” said the Paris-based DJ.
And artist Matthew Stone composed a track specifically for Gareth Pugh’s fashion movie, made up of flapping bird’s wings and gurgling water. He also sampled sections from the soundtrack of “The Shining” (so much for alleviating everyone’s anxieties).
Here, the top tracks from the Paris collections:
-“El Tango De Roxanne,” by Ewan McGregor, José Feliciano and Jacek Koman (John Galliano and Jean Paul Gaultier)
- “Walking in the Rain,” by Flash and the Pan (Lanvin)
- “Love to Love You Baby,” by Donna Summer (Chanel)
- “Walking & Falling,” by Laurie Anderson (Dries Van Noten)
- Keith Jarrett, solo concert, part 2 (Yves Saint Laurent)
- “Pornography,” by The Cure (Nina Ricci)
- “En Melody,” by Serge Gainsbourg (Balenciaga)
- “Only Love Can Break Your Heart,” by Saint Etienne (Stella McCartney)
- “Shake That Devil,” by Antony and The Johnsons (Anne Valérie Hash and Kris Van Assche)
- “Martha’s Dream,” by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis (Ann Demeulemeester)