Most Recent Articles In Lifestyle
Latest Lifestyle Articles
- Lollapalooza 2014: Three Must-See Acts
- Swim Week Preview: The Miami Beach Scene
- New Book Looks Back at 1940's Ads
More Articles By
Metro area population: 2,337,565
Average private industry wage: $42,255
Sales tax: None
Average days of rain a year: 155
Unemployment rate: Portland metropolitan area, 5.6 percent; state, 6.3 percent
Miles to the Pacific Ocean: 78
Miles to nearest glacier: 65 (Mt. Hood)
Acres of parks in metro area: 37,000 (including 5,000-acre Forest Park)
- Portland is home to 28 breweries, the most of any U.S. city.
- Of all the commodities shipped into the U.S. through the port of Portland in containers, the volume of footwear ranks first, tires are second, furniture is third and apparel is fourth.
- Portland has the largest independent bookstore in the world, Powell's City of Books, stocking over one million new and used books.
Sources: U.S. Census; Oregon Employment Department Census; Port of Portland; Oregon Employment Department